Pirdop copper smelter and refinery is considered to be the largest smelting and refining facility of copper in South-Eastern Europe. The refinery is located between the towns of Pirdop and Zlatitsa in the Sofia Province of western Bulgaria. The Pirdop facility was founded in 1958 and had an initial annual capacity of 160,000 tons. This has now been expanded to 340,000 tons.
The plant also produces 830,000 tons of sulphuric acid and small amounts of silver, gold and selenium. The Pirdop smelter and refinery employs800 workers. The plant was privatized in 1997 for a sum of $80,000,000 and now is under the ownership of the German company Aurubis.